Philippines: On 1 December 2022, the Food and Drug Administration published guidelines on the application and issuance of voluntary certification of Food Contact Articles (FCA) used for prepackaged processed food products.
This Circular shall cover both locally manufactured and imported food contact articles, in finished or final form, with or without applied adhesives and/or printing inks, limited to:
A. Direct Food Contact Articles which include all primary packaging material of pre-packaged processed food products having the following materials:
- Synthetic Resin
- Phenolic Resin
- Melamine Resin
- Urea Resin
- Synthetic Resin made from Formaldehyde
- Polyvinyl Chloride
- Polyvinylidene Chloride
- Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Polymethyl Methacrylate
- Polymethyl Pentene
- Polyvinyl Alcohol
- Paper and Paperboard
B. Articles with incidental contact to processed food products having the materials listed under Direct Food Contact Articles.
A. The evaluation of the suitability of food contact articles shall be conducted by the Common Services Laboratory (CSL) to serve the needs of establishments that voluntarily seek “food grade certification” to substantiate the suitability of their product, as required by their clients, for the intended application of use.
B. The evaluation of food contact articles shall be performed by the FDA’s CSL for applicants seeking assistance in attesting the suitability of their product for the intended application of use.
C. The determination of the suitability of food contact articles for use in packing, packaging, transporting, or holding of food shall be based on the requirements established by the CSL to ensure the suitability of food contact materials for their intended use and safety.
D. The establishment involved in the manufacture, importation, exportation, sale, offering for sale, distribution, and transfer of FCA may secure voluntary certification prior to utilization, selling, and commercial distribution.
E. Any or a combination of the following references shall be adopted and be used in the evaluation:
- Latest edition of the “Specifications and Standards for Foods, Food Additives, etc. Under the Food Sanitation Act (Abstracts)” of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- Latest edition of “Specifications, Standards and Testing Methods for Foodstuffs, Implements, Containers, and Packaging, Toys, Detergents” of JETRO.
- Code of Federal Regulation Title 21 Part 170 to 199 of the US Food and Drug Administration.
- Other references for Food Contact Articles recognized by ASEAN member states.
- Regulatory requirements of the importing country for products intended for export, if necessary.
Republic of the Philippines Department of Health Food and Drug Administration. (2022). Guidelines on the Application and Issuance of Voluntary Certification of Food Contact Articles (FCA) Used for Prepackaged Processed Food Products (FDA Circular No. 2022-011).