|No.||References||Outcomes / Benefits||Effective/Recommended Dosage|
|1||Lopez, H., Cesareo, K., Raub, B., Kedia, A., Sandrock, J., Kerksick, C., & Ziegenfuss, T. (2020). Effects of Hemp Extract on Markers of Wellness, Stress Resilience, Recovery and Clinical Biomarkers of Safety in Overweight, But Otherwise Healthy Subjects. Journal Of Dietary Supplements, 17(5), 561-586. https://doi.org/10.1080/19390211.2020.1765941||– Hemp supplementation improved HDL cholesterol, tended to support psychometric measures of perceived sleep, stress response, and perceived life pleasure and was well tolerated with no clinically relevant safety concerns.||60mg/day of CBD-containing CO2 supercritical extract of aerial parts of hemp oil extract (PlusCBDTM Extra Strength Hemp Extract) which delivered 15mg of hemp-derived CBD|
|2||Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. The Permanente Journal, 23, 18-041. https://doi.org/10.7812/tpp/18-041||– Hemp plants are grown for their fibers and high levels of cannabidiol (CBD) that can be extracted to make oil. |
– Two months after the start of CBD treatment, 78.1% and 56.1% of patients reported improvement in anxiety and sleep respectively.
|CBD 25 mg/d, 50 mg/d or 75 mg/d. One patient with a trauma history and schizoaffective disorder received a CBD dosage of 175 mg/d|
|3||Franco, L., Sánchez, C., Bravo, R., Rodriguez, A., Barriga, C., & Juánez, J. (2012). The sedative effects of hops(Humulus lupulus), a component of beer, on the activity/rest rhythm. Acta Physiologica Hungarica, 99(2), 133-139. https://doi.org/10.1556/aphysiol.99.2012.2.6||– The mechanism of action of the resin of hop consists of increasing the activity of the neurotransmitter γ-aminobutyric (GABA), inhibiting the central nervous system (CNS).|
– The concentration of 2 mg of hop extract effectively decreased nocturnal activity in the circadian activity rhythm.
– The concentration of 2 mg, similar to the concentration in beer, was more effective in reducing nocturnal activity than the other doses of 1 and 11 mg, as well as preserving the circadian activity/rest rhythm, which would be an aid to nocturnal sleep.
|2 mg/d of hop extract|
|4||Franco, L., Sánchez, C., Bravo, R., Rodríguez, A., Barriga, C., Romero, E., & Cubero, J. (2012). The Sedative Effect of Non-Alcoholic Beer in Healthy Female Nurses. Plos ONE, 7(7), e37290. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0037290||– The hop (Humulus lupulus L.), a component of beer.|
– Moderate consumption of nonalcoholic beer can significantly improve the quality of rest, for example, in subjects who are involved in stressful professional activities causing significant fluctuations in the natural sleep rhythm (for example nurses).
|Non-alcoholic beer containing hops (333 ml with 0,0% alcohol)|
|5||Kyrou, I., Christou, A., Panagiotakos, D., Stefanaki, C., Skenderi, K., Katsana, K., & Tsigos, C. (2017). Effects of a hops (Humulus lupulus L.) dry extract supplement on self-reported depression, anxiety and stress levels in apparently healthy young adults: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover pilot study. HORMONES, 16(2), 171-180. https://doi.org/10.14310/horm.2002.1738||– The Humulus lupulus L. plant (hops) is used as a herbal medicinal product for anxiety/mood disorders.|
– In otherwise healthy young adults reporting at least mild depression, anxiety and stress symptoms, daily supplementation with a hops dry extract can significantly improve all these symptoms over a 4-week period.
|two 200mg hops extract; Melcalin® HOPs capsules daily|
|6||Scholey, A., Gibbs, A., Neale, C., Perry, N., Ossoukhova, A., & Bilog, V. et al. (2014). Anti-Stress Effects of Lemon Balm-Containing Foods. Nutrients, 6(11), 4805-4821. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu6114805||– Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) has been used historically and contemporarily as a modulator of mood and cognitive function, with anxiolytic effects.|
– Lemon balm treatments were generally associated with improvements in mood and/or cognitive performance
|Iced-tea type drink containing0.3 g lemon balm and natural fruit sweetener0.6 g lemon balm and natural fruit sweetener0.6 g lemon balm and a blend of artificial sweetenersa placebo beverage|
|7||Bongartz, U., Tan, B., Seibt, S., Bothe, G., Uebelhack, R., Chong, P., & Wszelaki, N. (2019). Sleep Promoting Effects of IQP-AO-101: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Exploratory Trial. Evidence-Based Complementary And Alternative Medicine, 2019, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/9178218||– IQP-AO-101 (Night Coach™, InQpharm) is designed to improve restorative sleep and rejuvenate body cells for optimal physical and mental performance.|
– In this study, IQP-AO-101 was well tolerated and efficacious for promoting sleep and enhancing daytime performance in subjects with moderate sleep disturbances.
|1 sachet/day; each sachet of the IQP-AO-101 contained the following active ingredients:300 mg Asparagus extract80 mg lemon balm extract30 mg saffron extract60 mg vitamin C30 IU vitamin E10 mg zinc|
|8||Haybar, H., Javid, A., Haghighizadeh, M., Valizadeh, E., Mohaghegh, S., & Mohammadzadeh, A. (2018). The effects of Melissa officinalis supplementation on depression, anxiety, stress, and sleep disorder in patients with chronic stable angina. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN, 26, 47-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnesp.2018.04.015||– The results showed that 8-week supplementation with 3 g lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) can decrease depression, anxiety, stress, and sleep disorder in patients with chronic stable angina.||3 g/d Melissa officinalis supplement|
|9||Williams, J., Everett, J., D’Cunha, N., Sergi, D., Georgousopoulou, E., & Keegan, R. et al. (2019). The Effects of Green Tea Amino Acid L-Theanine Consumption on the Ability to Manage Stress and Anxiety Levels: a Systematic Review. Plant Foods For Human Nutrition, 75(1), 12-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-019-00771-5||– The green tea amino acid, L-theanine (L-THE) is associated with several health benefits, including improvements in mood, cognition and a reduction of stress and anxiety-like symptoms.|
– This study suggest that supplementation of 200-400 mg/day of L-THE may assist in the reduction of stress and anxiety in people exposed to stressful conditions.
|200-400 mg of L-THE/day|
|10||Williams, J., D’Cunha, N., Anstice, N., McKune, A., & Naumovski, N. (2020). Effect of Green Tea Amino Acid L-Theanine on Physiological Responses: A Protocol for Clinical Trial. Exploratory Research And Hypothesis In Medicine, 000(000), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.14218/erhm.2020.00048||– L-THE is a green tea-derived amino acid which can improves cardiovascular health, anxiolytic effects, antioxidant properties, and its effect on instigating a state of relaxed alertness.|
– The use of L-THE as a functional additive may provide potential therapeutic stress benefits when consumed alongside food products.
|200mg of L-THE/day|
|11||Unno, K., Yamada, H., Iguchi, K., Ishida, H., Iwao, Y., Morita, A., & Nakamura, Y. (2017). Anti-stress Effect of Green Tea with Lowered Caffeine on Humans: A Pilot Study. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 40(6), 902-909. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b17-00141||– Theanine, an amino acid in tea, has significant anti-stress effects.|
– Caffeine and EGCG suppressed the anti-stress effect of theanine while epigallocatechin (EGC) and arginine (Arg), other components in green tea, retained these effects
– Results suggested that the ingestion of low-caffeine green tea suppressed the excessive stress response of students.
|low-caffeine green tea contains about 15 mg of theanine and 3.6 mg of Arg per day.|
|12||Adhikary, R., & Mandal, V. (2017). l -theanine: A potential multifaceted natural bioactive amide as health supplement. Asian Pacific Journal Of Tropical Biomedicine, 7(9), 842-848. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apjtb.2017.08.005||– L-theanine can maintain normal sleep and improve memory function and nullify effect of the neurotoxins.|
– L-theanine increases dopamine and serotonin production in the brain and induces relaxation through the enhancement of alpha wave activity in brain
|Anxiolytic effect: 200–250 mg of theanine per day and it may be extended up to 1250 mg/day|
Journals/ Studies To Support Hemp Extracts, Hops Extracts, Lemon Balms, Green Tea Extracts ’s Efficacy That Aids In Sleeping And Relaxation
October 13, 2022