According to BPOM Regulation No. 31 Year 2018 on Food Label,
1. The shelf-life information indicates until when a food can be consumed from a quality point of view, as long the food is stored according to instructions given by the producer.
2. The shelf-life information is indicated by day, month and year.
3. In case processed food has a shelf-life less or equal than 3 months, the shelf-life information consists of the day, month and year.
4. In case processed food has a shelf-life of more than 3 months, the shelf-life information includes :
a. day, month and year; or
b. month and year
5. The shelf-life information as referred in clause (1) is preceded by the words “Best before”
6. The shelf-life information as referred in clause (1) may be stated separately from the text “Best before”, and accompanied by instruction on where to place the expiration date such as :
a. “Best before, look at the bottom of the can”; or
b. “Best before, look at the bottle cap”
Based on the regulation described above, Expiry Date in Indonesia is indicated by the words ‘Best Before’, therefore it is more common to be used.
Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan Republik Indonesia. (2018). Food Label (Number 31 Year 2018).