Instant noodles have always been an easy (and cheap) way to quickly satisfy your hunger pangs, especially when you’re winded after a long day at work or school.
Instant noodles have long been a favorite comfort food for Asians, especially for students and single working adults who are sometimes on a tight budget.
As some of you might know, instant noodles, especially the seasonings that come with it are not entirely healthy and could cause some major health issues if consumed in excess. Instant noodles typically contain preservatives and other non-natural additives including monosodium glutamate (MSG) that could cause headaches, muscle tightness, numbness and a tingling discomfort.
As your food experts of Asia, we’re not going to officially state that instant noodles are entirely bad for you, but we are going to advice you on how you could make
your instant noodles slightly more nutritious and even tastier! Check out our easy steps below:
- Instant noodles typically contain wax. Replace all the water after your noodles is cooked/boiled, as the water contains the wax.
- Always put ONLY HALF of the flavoring/seasoning powder.
- It is important to keep the right ratio of water used for the soup, as it will affect the taste at the end. Less water will make the soup taste richer.
- It is advised that you season the soup with some salt and black pepper according to your own taste preference, instead of fully relying on the seasoning powder given.
- Add some vegetables to boost its nutritional value. Onions are the ideal vegetable to be added as it is cheap, would last longer without being kept in the fridge, and is also easy to cook. You could also throw in lettuce or broccoli but make sure not to overcook them. We normally add our veggies last after the noodles are cooked.
- Add one or two eggs depending on how eggy you want it to be. Eggs are known for its high-quality protein, iron, vitamins, minerals and carotenoids.
- If you prefer your instant noodles to be thick and less soupy, don’t use lots of water and start stirring your mixture the moment you add the eggs in.
- You can also opt to include some chicken slices or other meats to boost its protein content.
- And you’re done. Your instant noodles are now more nutritious & tastier than ever before.
The nutritional value of instant noodles is controlled what ingredients you use. The more healthy ingredients you add in, the higher its nutritional values are. So, be sure to keep vegetables and eggs nearby for the days you simply want to curl up on the couch with an easy to make meal. Practice healthy eating so that you can continue eating the food you love!